Skip to main content

What makes God God?

God, investigate my life; get all the facts firsthand. I'm an open book to you; even from a distance, you know what I'm thinking. You know when I leave and when I get back; I'm never out of your sight. You know everything I'm going to say before I start the first sentence. I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too - your reassuring presence, coming and going. This is too much, too wonderful - I can't take it all in! Oh, he even sees me in the dark! At night I'm immersed in the light! It's a fact: darkness isn't dark to you Lord.

God Punishes Evil Intents

One of a myriad of things that make God God is His knowledge of human intentions. It is unimaginable how much I would achieve if I were in such a position. I would take advantage of my lecturers and study only the questions in the test. I would know when and exactly with whom to agree to a date. And most importantly, I would never be a victim of any untoward circumstances. There's no end to what I would or not do differently. Have you ever asked yourself why God denied us the privilege of knowing the plans others are cooking up in their minds? I have. King David did too. Look at that confession in Psalms 139.

God punishes evil intentions. Psalms 21:11 "for they intended evil against thee: they imagined a mischievous device, which they are not able to perform." In the past week alone, there were a good number of times I intended to do evil. Some went through- the secret ones- while I shut down others. The problem is, when I go to pray and ask for forgiveness of sins, I never mention the ones I plotted but failed due to some logistical challenges. I assume that those ones I did not actually commit. But, God takes notice of intentions!

Then I say the Lord's prayer, "Lead us not into temptations but deliver us from evil." Then I realise that usually when someone somewhere plots an evil scheme against me, God shuts it down. On the same note, when I intend to do evil things, it must be God who shuts me down. Why must God always intervene in the affairs of men?

Evil intentions are in essence against the King himself. He says that whatever you "do to the least of there my brethren, you do it unto me." What we learn from this is that intentional evil has a deadly virus in it which is not found in sins of ignorance. And God for the love of His children, will always interpose. The Master who establishes all plans will never allow evil schemers to inflict pain on His beloved. This is exactly what He did on the old rugged cross. He interposed. In Psalms 21:11, we get it very clear that evil planners will fail in ability. God takes notice of their intentions.

Those of us who are constantly worried about our security, take heart. We have a bodyguard who sees the enemy from afar. He is a mighty fortress, a bulwark never failing. Rock of ages, cleft for me. And like the hymns goes, our plea should always be "let me hide myself in thee." When we read the boastful threatenings of the enemies of the gospel at the present day, we may close our reading by cheerfully repeating, "which they are not able to perform." The serpent may hiss, but his head is broken; the lion may worry, but he cannot devour: the tempest may thunder, but cannot strike." -C. S

Friends, this verse cuts both ways. Almost all the time I read the psalms and scriptures, I hear phrases like "I [God] will protect you from them." Some times I am the enemy God is guarding people against. So, in my reading, I often put my name in place of the enemy. The text then becomes plain to me; what manner of task God is up against. I can also be a real pain in the neck. We must never excuse ourselves to cook up evil plots. Let us not always blame it on the devil. Things we do! Sometimes even Satan gets ashamed. The thing is, before God prevents the spec being inserted in my eye, let me first drop the log I am loading in my neighbours eye.

The lesson is, you must never fret. In the face of calamity, we must always cheerfully repeat, "which they are not able to perform." God takes notice of intentions, even the foe's. This is just one of the big 4 O's of God. HE IS OMNISCIENT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus Our Advocate Part III: In the Heavenly Courts

The advocacy of the Lord Jesus in our behalf, however, is wholly different from this, though the same general object is pursued and sought, the good of those for whom he becomes an advocate. The nature of his advocacy may be stated in the following particulars: (1.) He admits the guilt of those for whom he becomes the advocate, to the full extent charged on them by the law of God, and by their own consciences. He does not attempt to hide or conceal it. He makes no apology for it. He neither attempts to deny the fact , nor to show that they had a right to do as they have done. He could not do this, for it would not be true; and any plea before the throne of God which should be based on a denial of our guilt would be fatal to our cause. (2.) As our advocate, he undertakes to be security   that no wrong shall be done to the universe if we are not punished as we deserve; that is, if we are pardoned, and treated as if we had not sinned. This he does by pleading what he has done

Tenderly he watches over you

An old beautiful song by Beverly Shea, reminds us of God's unwavering care for us. Humanly speaking, the thought of His constant guardianship and upkeep is inconsistent with us the yet-sinners. But He loves us still. I have decided to ignore any seeming discrepancy, but to trust His word. For the scripture assures me, "Humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God... casting all your care upon him; for he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7 Moreover, he promises to continue His past graces towards His people. "The Lord has been mindful of us." Psalm 115:12 . Our preservation proves this, our mercies, our trials, our guidance and our consolations. Everything, even the minutest blessing, represents a thought in the mind of God respecting us. "How precious are thy thoughts concerning me, O God, how great," ( Psalm 139:17 ), and those thoughts go back to an eternity before we came into being. "The Lord hath been mindful of us"; then should

Bread of Sorrows

Bread of Sorrows: When God sends it, it is good to eat it.  When we bake it ourselves, it is vain to eat it.   When the devil brings it, it is deadly meat “It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.” Psalms 127:2. Frankly speaking,  Rev. Spurgeon expounded on this verse in a very captivating way in his sermon, The Peculiar Sleep of the Beloved- delivered on Sabbath Morning, March 4, 1855. I loved this!  ‘ The Psalmist says there are some men who deny themselves sleep. For purposes of gain, or ambition, they rise up early and sit up late. Some of us who are here present may have been guilty of the same thing. We have risen early in the morning that we might turn over the ponderous volume, in order to acquire knowledge; we have sat at night until our burned-out lamp has chidden us, and told us that the sun was rising; while our eyes have ached, our brain has throbbed, our heart has pal